BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ill-ustrator




Those of you who know me, know the crazy schedule I've been rocking lately. But I must confess, I love it. Somehow I manage to cram enough socializing into my work and school schedule to keep me sane so it works. Although I wish I had more time in general to give my current "in the works" projects the time they deserve. Lately my free lance website work gets done on the clock at my part time job (shhh) or at the laundry mat during the spin cycle. Thank god for free wifi.

And I just moved too, to the ghetto! But let's be honest, most of Rutland could be considered the ghetto. Hey, I love it though. It's a sweet 3rd floor pad so I figure if anyone robs the place they'll probably be too lazy to hoof it all the way up to my apt. The only thing I really have to worry about is the crack head downstairs jacking my parking spot.

One of my side projects, helping John at Whaleback with various misc tasks on the website, is slow and steady which actually fits into my schedule nicely. He emails me something he wants me to do and I can usually get it done within a week. His latest request was for me to design a banner ad for the upcoming pass holder appreciation BBQ on September 27th, which also happens to be my birthday (BALLIN!). Although I've always been artistic I haven't had much experience with computer graphic design per say, unlike my amazing talented sister at applegang.com.

So while jacking my neighbor's wireless, sitting in my car as close to their driveway as I could without drawing too much attention, I hastily downloaded a 30 day free trial of Illustrator. And then I tried to use it without knowing anything about the program. Ok, yeah, no. I spent about 45 minutes while my computer battery slowly drained, trying to crop and drag and insert text. Not happening. Why couldn't it be simple? I'm good with computers, I know more than the average Betty. But apparently not the case with Ill-ustrator. So I ended up stealing a Whaleback party pic off John's Facebook, cropping it, and adding text all on Picasa, which only took me about 5 minutes. Of course he didn't use it, but at least I was able to turn in something and still make it to the movies on time.

xoxo
Morgan

0 comments: